Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Salt-water Snorkling

February 13, 2014

Honda Bay is an open water marine scene consisting of 60 islands big and small. At 6:30am I hopped into a van full of tourists in Puerto Princesa to go island hopping in the Bay. First stop: Starfish Island, known for the starfish. I went snorkeling for the first time and was blown away when I ducked my head under water. Right next to my feet were little fish dancing around. There was a Nemo, a dory, a jellyfish, schools of small blackfish, a long skinny clear one and one guy that kept swimming right at my goggles. It was peeking at another world, and I was humming “Woowww” the whole time. 

About 50 feet from the shoreline, the ground dips sharply into a world of coral, sea urchins and fish. There was life that I have gone unaware of for most of my life. And with a snorkel, you can float and observe for extended periods of time. We were in clear saltwater so my skin got a nice exfoliation over the next day and now my epidermis is feeling smooth as silk. 

After a yummy lunch with eggplant and rice, we hopped to Sinking Island, so named because it submerges completely with the tide. There was a diving board there and I reminisced on my diving days by doing a front flip into the water, which shot a bunch of salt water up my nose. Boy did that to clear my sinuses :). 

When I wasn’t in the water, I hung out with the my tour-mates. I don’t know how it started, but it became a thing for everyone to say “Willa!!!!” throughout the day. “Wiillllaa, don’t forget your shoes! Willaa, try to feed the fish! Willlaa, we can watch your stuff!” Or just, “Willlaaa!!” for kicks. I thought this was nice because everyone was looking out for me. There was a group of older Filipino Americans and two American guys, Matt and Clint, that I enjoyed sipping coconuts with. 

Matt and Clint and I laughed so hard about scorpions, and cricket. After the tour, we all had dinner at La Terasse, another delicious recommendation from Adrian. Then we invented a special Puerto Princesa bar crawl, hitting up some sweet spots including one with live Filipino bands singing Bob Marley and island tunes. After some local Red Horse Beers, we walked down to a shack called “Street Bar,” which was literally a bar in the street. Finally, we ended up at Tiki Bar where I had a mango banana smoothie, watched 15 year olds tear up the dance floor, and did the shopping cart to an Asian band doing covers of Kesha. Win. 

Pics or it didn't happen:

My ride and company in Puerto Princesa

Veggie Dish and coconut banana smoothie at Kalui restaurant, recommended by my sister, Diana, and Adrian.

Whoever said not to play with your food is missing out. Look, it’s a “W” made of grape seaweed!

Smiling seaweed. Hehe.

Fruit bowl for dessert. 

Poster for free Zumba! Apparently it’s a thing to do this at the mall. 


Red bananas!

Odysseus set sail...except with neon green and pink flags.

Stylish water shoes that everyone had to wear. They each held about a pound of water.

Shipmates

The view, reminded me of Seattle.

Cupid banana

Captain Wentzie and the crew.

This is a real starfish! Photo cred to Cap W.

Me and Captain Wentzie!

Hike to Heaven

Flotation meditation

This is the office of the Mayor of Cebu. Jk! He just donated the backboards. Nice marketing.

Huge sound system on the back of a truck.


No comments:

Post a Comment