Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Rodeo, Jardins, Evita

I forgot to document a couple of cool things that I did last week.

Monday was JFlo's last day so met up and dined in Chinatown, and the noodles here are rather odd, thick and kind of crunchy. Then, I walked around Belgrano, which used to be the capital.

The Rodeo:
Every year, there is a two week exhibition at La Rural in Palermo. They ship in tons of cows, sheep and horses to be auctioned off or for competitions. Being a horse-lover, I went and it was the strangest combination of things. There were huge gasoline-eating tractors on show outside and tons of animals inside. I went on the last day and it stank something horrible. I had to run in, take a picture and then run out! There was also a huge mall with cars for sale and some food stands.

Jardin Japones:
In the middle of the city, there are a couple of huge parks and gardens with clay paths and lots of trees. The Japonese Gardens are a fenced off little area filled with pretty ponds, and a small museum of Japanese Culture. There's huge goldfish and a sushi bar too. It cost $5 pesos to get in, but I noticed that one of the exit doors is always open and unguarded so people could probably just enter through there. It is a very aesthetically pleasing, though small area that the Japanese community in BA created for the city some years ago.

Evita Museum:
Even though the majority of wealthy PorteƱos, including my host family, do not like Peron, I went to the museum to check out how she is presented by people who do like her. It was a cool house-museum filled with movies and historical antedotes. There's a 50% student discount off the $12 peso entrance fee, fyi.

No comments:

Post a Comment