Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Bam! That's how fast time goes by here...

In comparison to other cities I've seen, Buenos Aires is huge. Like wow. On Wednesday and Thursday, my program went on two extremely long tours with a short and plump man named Alejandro. He was a seasoned tour guide who spoke with great energy. A mini-bus picked us all up after classes, and we went to La Boca, San Telmo, Recoleta, Palermo, the Microcenter and probably some other places. I had a slight problem staying awake during the first hour of each tour because we had just finished lunch and I was sleepy. : )

Attractions:
La Boca is where all the tourists go; It's like a street fair everyday with tango shows, and lots of delicious alfahores (yummy cookies with dulche de leche). All of the buildings are brightly colored and some have 3D figures coming off the side of them. *We also went to the oldest cafe in Buenos Aires, where I had the best hot chocolate ever. Hot Chocolate is just heavenly when made correctly. *There was also this famous cemetary where there's rows and rows of huge altars and mausoleums for families (mostly very wealthy ones). The coffins are right there, above ground, like nothing I've ever seen before. *A 6 million dollar flower sculpture that's a shiny gold color was donated to the city a while back. It open during the day and closes during the night, just like real flowers! *The art museum of a famous guy who did a lot of astrology and invented a universal language was also cool.

Chinatown:
I woke up Friday and my host sister was going to work near Chinatown, so I went too! Chinatown is 2 blocks here, and kind of expensive. I got all the ingredients necesary for pad thai, and then I dined at this neoThai restaurant, which was really wasn't very good. There's a $6 for eating in the restaurant and the pad thai had way too much tamarind and not enough sugar and salt = sour!!

Una fiesta:
My host sister invited me and some friends from the program to her friends birthday party last night and it was so much fun! I practiced my spanish, listened to music and danced! The schedule here is a bit different - parties start at 2 in the morning and go until about 6. So I took a nap before going and I'm really glad I did. It was packed and awesome.

Dish Covers:
In the US, are there saran wrap covers for plates, shaped like shower caps? Because they have them here and they are so useful!! It makes it way easier to get something that needs to stay covered, and then just cover it right back up, instead of having to push all the edges down again!

Adventure:
Today I rode a bike to the train station, and then took the train to Martinez, where I went to the equivalent of Newbury Street in Boston - lots of expensive and nice things. Fun adventure. I really like riding bikes. (My mom will probably tell me not to, don't worry, it's safe!)

Slow Cars:
So as I was riding my bike, I approached a car that was moving extrememly slowly. I was cautious...why was this car going so slowly near me? But as it passed me, it was actually two old ladies chatting in the front seat, both looking at each other and not at where the car was going. hahahahaha. That was funny.

Politics:
Tomorrow is election day in Buenos Aires. Right now, the president is a woman (the second one in BA!) I wonder who will be next!

No comments:

Post a Comment